‘Nightmare Alley’, ‘No Time to Die’ win period art direction, contemporary
‘No Time to Die’, ‘Nightmare Alley’ and ‘Dune’ were among the big winners at Saturday night’s 26th Annual Art Directors Guild’s Excellence in Production Design Awards.
After the COVID-19 pandemic drove last year’s presentations to a virtual format, the 2022 awards show returned to an in-person format at the InterContinental Los Angeles Downtown, complete with a red carpet .
The awards – which recognize excellence in production design for motion pictures, television, commercials, music videos and animated feature films – were hosted by actress Yvette Nicole Brown.
Presenters included Benedict Cumberbatch, Kevin Costner, Marcia Gay Harden, James Pickens Jr., Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Jeffrey Wright, Harvey Guillen, Alexandra Daddario, Natasha Leggero, Wendi McLendon-Covey, Soleil Moon Frye and Carl Clemon-Hopkins.
The show was streamed live on www.adgawards26.com.
In the special prices:
– director/writer/producer Jane Campion, who is nominated for the Best Director Oscar for ‘The Power of the Dog’, received the Cinematic Imagery Award for work that “consistently reflects the highest quality of design of production” ;
— “Dune” director Denis Villeneuve received the William Cameron Menzies Award;
— William A. Horning, Academy Award-winning production designer, and Polly Platt, Academy Award-nominated pioneering production designer, costume designer, screenwriter and producer, were posthumously inducted into the Art Directors Guild Hall of Fame; and
— set designer Ida Random, graphic designers Michael and Denise Okuda, set designer/art director Ann Harris and concept illustrator and storyboard artist Donna Cline all received Lifetime Achievement Awards.
Here is a full list of winners::
— “Nightmare Alley”, Production designer: Tamara Deverell
— “Dune”, production designer: Patrice Vermette
CONTEMPORARY FEATURE FILM
– “No Time to Die”, Production Designer: Mark Tildesley
ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
— “Encanto”, production designers: Ian Gooding, Lorelay Bové
ONE HOUR PERIOD OR SINGLE CAMERA FANTASY SERIES
— “Loki: ‘Glorious Purpose'”, production designer: Kasra Farahani
ONE HOUR SINGLE CAMERA CONTEMPORARY SERIES
– “Squid Game: ‘Gganbu'”, Production Designer: Chae Kyoung-sun
TV MOVIE OR LIMITED SERIES
— “WandaVision”, production designer: Mark Worthington
HALF HOUR SINGLE CAMERA SERIES
— “What We Do in the Shadows: ‘The Prisoner’, ‘The Cloak of Duplication’, ‘The Mermaid’, Production Designer: Kate Bunch
MULTI-CAMERA (TIE) SERIES
– “Family Reunion: ‘Remember When M’Dear Changed History?’ Production Designer: Aiyana Trotter
— Apple Music: “Billie Eilish – Happier Than Ever”, production designer: François Audouy
– Taylor Swift: “Too good”, production designer: Ethan Tobman
VARIETY, REALITY OR COMPETITION SERIES
– Harry Potter: Hogwarts Houses Tournament: “Gryffindor versus Hufflepuff”, Production designer: John Janavs
– Live in front of a studio audience: “Facts of Life – Kids Can Be Cruel (320) & Diff’rent Strokes – Willis’ Privacy (115), Production Designer: Stephan Olson